I like it. I like it a CharLOTTE.

Fashion Week Follow-Up
I have to say, although her designs are darling, I’ve not been a big fan of Charlotte Ronson’s work in the past. Her previous, play-clothes style tended to exude “sweet” and “serene” a bit too much for my taste though, clearly, not for others’, as her line has been quite a market success. The collection she showed for fall/winter 2009, however, was marching to the beat of a very differnt drum. It seems she put Peter, Paul and Mary back on the shelf in favor of mixing some old-school Aerosmith with the ever-popular Nirvana—a shuffle I am strongly in favor of. Translation: Leather, leather, leather… and some grunge-inspired plaid and floral.
Not a single piece went by that didn’t make me ooh or ahh. If a jacket was leaning too far toward Serene, she jazzed it up with some sequins or rocked it out with some cutouts. Her geometric tailoring was to die for, as shoulders were constructed up and out and pants were slouched and tucked. But, above all, one long, skinny pair of pants stood tall to represent the entire collection in my mind: The leather fringe pants.
Not only are these pants rockin’ on the runway, but they are totally wearable. If you ask me, these are the pant equivalent of the mullet: Business in the front; party in the back. And, unlike the mullet, I like it. From the front, the pants are your typical leather pants, which are predicted to be huge for fall/winter. What sets this particular pair of pants apart, though, is the long leather fringe hanging from the bottom of each of the two back slash pockets. This adds character, as well as movement, as the strands sway to and fro, tangling and detangling with each step you may take or each move you might bust. So go ahead—shake your groove thing. And tell ‘em the pants made you do it.


For more Louisa At Large reports from Fall Fashion Week 2009 visit Atlanta Magazine's "Window Shopping."


Images courtesy of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pants are rockin! I am also not a fan of Charlotte Ronson's sweet girl style. I feel that if you're going to go with feminine and flirty it should be done the route of Luella Bartley, a more girlish, whimsical and dressy style. This said, I have to say that you are one of many people who have told me about their extreme love for Charlotte's new collection. I am excited to see how this translates from runway to ready to wear. Ronson's prices are also not astronomical, so maybe these can actually be purchasable pieces for the young fashionista!